Text Banner Nevada Field Office Photo of Desert Scene
Home > Help > Frequently Asked Questions
NNSA/NFO Language Options

Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions
Publications / Reports
Contact Information
Nevada National Security Site
Medical Claims


Q. What are the directives and goals of the Nevada Field Office?
A. The primary role of the Nevada Field Office is to ensure the successful accomplishment of assigned activities in a safe, secure, efficient, and environmentally responsible manner. The Strategic Plan outlines the goals and objectives of the Nevada Field Office.

Q. How do I request a guest speaker for my organization, school, etc.?
A. The Speakers Bureau is one way the Nevada Field Office keeps the public informed about DOE’s programs and activities. Speakers are available to talk to civic organizations, clubs, schools, churches within Southern Nevada. To request a speaker, complete the Speakers Bureau Request Form.

Q. Is the Nevada Test Site Historical Museum open and where is it located?
The Atomic Testing Museum is open Monday through Friday 9 AM - 5 PM and is located on the first floor of the Frank H. Rogers Science and Technology Building at 755 E. Flamingo Road, Las Vegas, NV. More information can be found at the Nevada Test Site Historical Foundation website.

Q. Where do I find information about employment opportunities with the Nevada Field Office and related sites?
A. For further information about other DOE locations and their employment opportunities, visit the Department of Energy's Human Resources Department.

Q. What is the Nevada Field Office doing for National Security and Terrorism?
A. The National Security section outlines the many programs and functions the Nevada Field Office is performing for National Security and Terrorism.

^ TOP ^


Q. I'm looking for pictures or photographs of the Nevada National Security Site and other related locations. Where is the Photo Library located?
A. Photographs of current and historical programs including: Atmospheric testing, Environmental Management, Nevada National Security Site, News & Views, Plants and Animals, Historical, and many more are found in the Photo Library.

Q. How do I to order an 8X10 copy of a photograph in the Photo Library? Can I request print reproductions of photographs listed on the website?
A. All the photographs can be downloaded from the Photo Library. Unfortunately, we are no longer able to provided printed reproductions of the photographs on the web site.

Individuals with questions regarding these photos should contact the U.S. Department of Energy, National Nuclear Security Administration Nevada Field Office, Office of Public Affairs, P.O. Box 98518, Las Vegas, NV 89193-8518, phone 702-295-3521, fax 702-295-0154, email photos@nv.doe.gov. Please indicate the photo by the number or description.

Q. What credits/citations/references are required to use photographs from this website? I want to obtain express permission to copy some of the photos located on this website.
A. Should these photos be used in any manner that requires a credit line, the wording should read: "Photo courtesy of National Nuclear Security Administration / Nevada Field Office".

^ TOP ^


Q. Where can I view and purchase full length videos of nuclear testing?
A. A short clip from films can be viewed on-line by going to the Test Films page, which includes a short history of each test. Full length VHS films can be purchased through the Nuclear Testing Archive for a cost for each VHS video, plus shipping and handling. Films can be ordered using the Historical Test Film Order Form.

Q. How much does each film cost?
VHS (NTSC) - $10.00 each.  DVD (NTSC) - $10.00 each.
Beta Cam SP (NTSC) 30 minutes or more - $100.00 each, less than 30 minutes - $80.00 each. Please check the Internet web page for video lengths.
VHS (PAL) and VHS (SECAM) - $40.00 each.

Shipping costs: Shipping and handling varies depending on the quantity ordered and where they are shipped. International orders have a $30.00 surcharge. In addition, the recipient is responsible for any import/export fees. We will be happy to provide a cost estimate when you send your full shipping/mailing address. All prices are in U.S. dollars.

Q. What method of payment is accepted?
A. Payment options are cash (in person), check, or money order. We are not equipped to accept credit cards. Prepayment is required for four or more VHS tapes or DVD’s, any Beta Cam or VHS PAL/SECAM, and all International orders.

Q. How soon will the order arrive?
A. Delivery time depends on the format of the video, the amount ordered, and the shipping location. We usually ship one to three VHS (NTSC format) videos in the United States with arrival within ten days of the order placement. The customer can send back a check or money order after they receive the shipment. Other formats and International orders require longer time and prepayment.

Q. Do the test films exist on DVD?
A. Yes. The Historical Nuclear Weapons Test Films are now available on DVD (NTSC). Videos are available in five formats: DVD (NTSC), VHS (NTSC), Beta Cam SP (NTSC), and international versions VHS PAL and VHS SECAM. We do not have Beta Cam PAL or Beta Cam SECAM formats available.

Films can be ordered using the Historical Test Film Order Form.

^ TOP ^


Q. Are DOE Orders listed on this website?
A. DOE Order and Directives are not listed on this website. The DOE Directives website will provide you with all you need to find, write, or comment on a DOE Directive.

Q. I am trying to track down a DOE/NV or NFO report?
A. Current and past Nevada Site publications, including reports, Fact Sheets, and News Releases can be accessed in the Library section.

Q. Can I cite or reference this website or any part of this website for a report, paper, or book? Can I use a photo or film on my website or presentation?
A. Yes. Citations, references, and footnotes should follow proper APA, MLA, or Chicago style format. Should photos be used in any manner that requires a credit line, the wording should read: "Photo courtesy of National Nuclear Security Administration / Nevada Field Office".

Q. Can I get a copy of the Historical Reports, Fact Sheets, or other documents in another format than Adobe Acrobat PDF? Can a hard-copy be ordered?
A. No. All the documents on this website are only available as Adobe Acrobat PDF format. Governments and enterprises around the world have adopted PDF to streamline document management, increase productivity, and reduce reliance on paper. PDF is a universal file format that preserves the fonts, images, graphics, and layout of any source document, regardless of the application and platform used to create it.

Hard copies of many of the documents can be obtained through the Government Printing Office (GPO).

Q. Who do I contact to obtain documents and press releases?
A. Many requested documents and press releases can be found on this web site. The Library section provides a vast collection of national security, environmental, historical reports, and current and past Press Releases. If a document you are looking for is not available on this website, contact the Office of Public Affairs.

Q. When I try to open a PDF file (Factsheets, News Releases, Reports) I receive an error message that Acrobat cannot open this file?
A. PDF files on this website are compatible with Acrobat version 5.0 and later. You may have an earlier version (3 or 4). Please upgrade Acrobat Reader to version 5.

^ TOP ^


Q. Where can I find an address and phone number for the Nevada Site Office?
A. The Contact Us section provides a short history of and contact information for the Nevada Field Office.

Q. Does the Office of Public Affairs have a mailing address, phone number, fax number and an e-mail?

Mailing Address:

U.S. Department of Energy
National Nuclear Security Administration
Nevada Field Office
Office of Public Affairs
P.O. Box 98518
Las Vegas, NV 89193-8518

Phone: (702) 295-3521
Fax: (702) 295-0154
Email: PublicAffairs@nv.doe.gov

^ TOP ^


Q. Are phone numbers of Nevada Field Office employees available to the public? Is a NFO Organization chart available?
A. A Callup directory for telephone numbers and e-mail address for Department of Energy government and contractor personnel is available at DOE National Employee Callup. A listing of the Department's organizational and laboratory index can be located at DOE National Telephone Directory.

Q. Is there a complete list of web addresses for all DOE Offices and Facilities? What about e-mail addresses for these sites?
A. A complete list of DOE Program Offices, Operations Offices, Labs, and other facilities is provided on the Department of Energy's web site. The e-mail address can be found on each location's web site.

^ TOP ^


Q. Where can I locate Nevada National Security Site tour information? I want to know more about Nevada National Security Site Tours.
A. The U.S. Department of Energy, National Nuclear Security Administration Nevada Field Office provides free general interest tours on a monthly basis. Refer to the Nevada National Security Site Tours page for general information and tour dates.

Q. Where can I obtain detailed information about a specific nuclear test?
A. The Historical Publications page is a good source for publications relating to nuclear tests, specifically, document DOE/NV 209 (United States Nuclear Tests, July 1945 through September 1992). The Historical Test Films provides videos and full descriptions of historical nuclear tests.

Q. I am interested in attending a training course/class offered at the Nevada National Security Site. How do I apply and what are the costs associated? Can you please send me information about training offered to fire and law enforcement agencies at the Nevada National Security Site? Is a current schedule and application available for training at the Nevada National Security Site?
A. The Combating Terrorism Program page offers more information about training  programs for emergency responders at the federal, state, and local levels.

^ TOP ^


Q. I, or a member of my family, worked at the Nevada National Security Site and was exposed to radiation? How do I file a claim?
A. A Request for Report of Radiation Exposure History link is available on the Library Forms page.

Q. Where can I locate more information about the Compensation Program?
A. The Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program (EEOICP) page has more information.

^ TOP ^

Print Icon PRINT PAGE  |  Email Icon EMAIL PAGE

Date Last Modified: November 16, 2015